Thursday 30 July 2020

Tartar sauce how to make

Homemade Tartar Sauce


This homemade Tartar Sauce recipe comes together in a snap with kitchen items on hand and is better than store bought versions. This has lots of flavor and is perfect for when you find that jar at the back of the fridge with a past due date. 🙂


tartar sauce in bowl with fish stick


Tartar Sauce

Tartar sauce is a French condiment, typically used on seafood like fried clam strips, fried oysters, fish and chips, fish sandwiches. I especially like them with fish sticks!

It starts with a mayonnaise base and traditionally has finely chopped capers. American versions have gone the route of introducing diced pickles, dill to be exact and it’s what I use as a caper substitute. Tartar sauce also uses lemon juice as well as herbs such as dill and parsley to bump up the flavor.

How to make Tartar Sauce

While you start with mayonnaise, I like to add diced dill pickles instead of capers. Some of the pickle juice is added to thin the sauce, but feel free to use the same amount of lemon juice. Most recipes use a white vinegar with some sugar added, I like to substitute rice wine vinegar and take care of both needs there. It’s a sweetened vinegar and can be found in most markets in the Asian food aisle or vinegar section. I also use it to make my Pickled Red Onions.

Powdered garlic and onion are added as well as salt and pepper. My fresh or dried herbs would be dill or sometimes parsley. That’s it!

ingredients for Tartar Sauce

Whether used on my seafood recipes like my Blackened Mahi Mahi or to dip my Baked Potato Wedges in, this Tartar Sauce is the perfect condiment to use. Enjoy!

Try this also on my:

  • Baked Salmon Patties
    Tender, flaky Salmon Patties, baked to a golden brown and loaded with fresh vegetables and herbs make a great meal served with lemon and tartar sauce.
  • Baked Fish Sticks
    Tender, and flaky on the inside, golden brown and crunchy outside, these baked fish sticks are better than fried, easy to make and adults and kids alike LOVE them.

Tartar Sauce in a white bowl

Still Hungry?

Subscribe to my Newsletter, follow me on FacebookPinterestInstagram and YouTube for all my latest recipes and videos.

tartar sauce in bowl with lemon slice

Tartar Sauce

This Tartar Sauce comes together in a snap with kitchen items on hand and is better than store bought versions. This has lots of flavor and is perfect for when you find that jar at the back of the fridge with a past due date. 🙂 Makes 24 1 tablespoon servings.




from Fruitty Blog https://ift.tt/39DGC5t
via IFTTT

No comments: