Monday 28 October 2019

Writers: Why Do You Copy Without Giving Credits To Authors.

Writers: Why Do You Copy Without Giving Credits To Authors.
Writers: Why Do You Copy Without Giving Credits To Authors.

Writers, How do you feel when you see that your work has been plagiarized?

Last week, I clicked on one of my hashtags, #MfonWrites, and it led me to a blog where my article was published without my consent. Surprised, I decided to click on another hashtag I usually attach to my posts, #MyPenMyThoughts, it led me to a Facebook page where two of my articles were published, still without my consent.



On the blog, my picture that was attached to the post was removed. My name at the end of the post was also removed and replaced with that of the blogger. The #WednesdayWisdomCapsule was replaced with #ThursdayWisdomCapsule, but the person forgot to remove #MfonWrites, which was what enabled to trace the post. The article generated traffic, comments, and accolades to the blogger, some even requested him to teach them how to write with such wisdom and he promised to teach them for a particular amount.

On the facebook page, my picture which was attached to the post was replaced with that of a man, my name was taken off and replaced with that of the owner of the page, #MfonWrites was also removed, but #MyPenMyThoughts remained. The post garnered about 870 likes, 420 comments and 148 shares. I was angry and pained at the same time. I took screenshots for evidence, messaged them to take down my work in one hour's time or risk tarnishing the image of their brand.

Their nemesis was brewing already in my pot, but they were smart enough to escape it. They both refused to reply to my message or apologize, but quietly complied. I was sure to monitor their blog/page, that was how I knew when the articles were taken down.

Their case is not the first/only experience I've had ever since I began writing. Last year, a lady on Facebook did something similar. When I approached her via inbox, she asked if I'm the first to write that "somebody will not hear word", then she blocked me. I opened another account, added her on my list, reported the post, and it was taken down. I blocked her and deleted the account.

Even my quotes are taken without consent or acknowledgement. I worry less about quotes, but articles? I will go extra miles. Things like this have made me grow weary sharing some things here in recent times. I still have the screenshots, but won't attach them here.

Dear friends, If you have the habit of stealing people's intellectual property without due consent or proper acknowledgement of the owner, refrain from it. Even the law is against plagiarism and piracy. You can share a post, but when you copy, don't ever forget to acknowledge the owner, EXCEPT in the case where you sincerely do not know the owner.

  • Don't flaunt people's brain work as yours.
  • Don't promote your brand with stolen contents.
  • Don't receive commendations for a written work you have no idea how it came about.Don't sell people's work without their due consent or approval.
  • Don't rob another the chance of being recognized and profiting from their skill.
  • #Copied is not the name of a person, don't use it to replace the writer's name.
  • Acknowledge the writer properly if you copy.
  • If you have to publish another's work on your site/page, respectfully seek permission from the writer before proceeding.
  • Always refer others to the owner of your copied work when and where necessary.
Writing is not so easy, respect the hard work, at least. Some writers will not give you time to take it down, you will be dragged down the moment you're caught. You will only appear cheap and senseless before those who once held you in high regard.


Don't be unfortunate and don't stain your image/brand.

Cheers!
#MyPenMyThoughts

Written By: Mfon Ekott.


from Fruitty Blog https://ift.tt/2MSgLwB
via IFTTT

No comments: